Re: [HMM-v25 19/19] mm/hmm: add new helper to hotplug CDM memory region v3

From: Ross Zwisler
Date: Fri Sep 08 2017 - 15:43:51 EST

On Tue, Sep 05, 2017 at 03:20:50PM -0400, Jerome Glisse wrote:
<>
> Does HMAT support device hotplug ? I am unfamiliar with the whole inner working
> of ACPI versus PCIE. Anyway i don't see any issue with device memory also showing
> through HMAT but like i said device driver for the device will want to be in total
> control of that memory.

Yep, the HMAT will support device hotplug via the _HMA method (section 6.2.18
of ACPI 6.2). This basically supplies an entirely new HMAT that the system
will use to replace the current one.

I don't yet have support for _HMA in my enabling, but I do intend to add
support for it once we settle on a sysfs API for the regular boot-time case.

> Like i said issue here is that core kernel is unaware of the device activity ie
> on what part of memory the device is actively working. So core mm can not make
> inform decision on what should be migrated to device memory. Also we do not want
> regular memory allocation to end in device memory unless explicitly ask for.
> Few reasons for that. First this memory might not only be use for compute task
> but also for graphic and in that case they are hard constraint on physically
> contiguous memory allocation that require the GPU to move thing around to make
> room for graphic object (can't allow GUP).
>
> Second reasons, the device memory is inherently unreliable. If there is a bug
> in the device driver or the user manage to trigger a faulty condition on GPU
> the device might need a hard reset (ie cut PCIE power to device) which leads
> to loss of memory content. While GPU are becoming more and more resilient they
> are still prone to lockup.
>
> Finaly for GPU there is a common pattern of memory over-commit. You pretend to
> each application as if they were the only one and allow each of them to allocate
> all of the device memory or more than could with strict sharing. As GPU have
> long timeslice between switching to different context/application they can
> easily move out and in large chunk of the process memory at context/application
> switching. This is have proven to be a key aspect to allow maximum performances
> accross several concurrent application/context.
>
> To implement this easiest solution is for the device to lie about how much memory
> it has and use the system memory as an overflow.

I don't think any of this precludes the HMAT being involved. This is all very
similar to what I think we need to do for high bandwidth memory, for example.
We don't want the OS to use it for anything, and we want all of it to be
available for applications to allocate and use for their specific workload.
We don't want to make any assumptions about how it can or should be used.

The HMAT is just there to give us a few things:

1) It provides us with an explicit way of telling the OS not to use the
memory, in the form of the "Reservation hint" flag in the Memory Subsystem
Address Range Structure (ACPI 6.2 section 5.2.27.3). I expect that this will
be set for persistent memory and HBM, and it sounds like you'd expect it to be
set for your device memory as well.

2) It provides us with a way of telling userspace "hey, I know about some
memory, and I can tell you its performance characteristics". All control of
how this memory is allocated and used is still left to userspace.

> I am not saying that NUMA is not the way forward, i am saying that as it is today
> it is not suited for this. It is lacking metric, it is lacking logic, it is lacking
> features. We could add all this but it is a lot of work and i don't feel that we
> have enough real world experience to do so now. I would rather have each devices
> grow proper infrastructure in their driver through device specific API.

To be clear, I'm not proposing that we teach the NUMA code how to
automatically allocate for a given numa node, balance, etc. memory described
by the HMAT. All I want is an API that says "here is some memory, I'll tell
you all I can about it and let you do with it what you will", and perhaps a
way to manually allocate what you want.

And yes, this is very hand-wavy at this point. :) After I get the sysfs
portion sussed out the next step is to work on enabling something like
libnuma to allow the memory to be manually allocated.

I think this works for both my use case and yours, correct?

> Then identify common pattern and from there try to build a sane API (if any such
> thing exist :)) rather than trying today to build the whole house from the ground
> up with just a foggy idea of how it should looks in the end.

Yea, I do see your point. My worry is that if I define an API, and you define
an API, we'll end up in two different places with people using our different
APIs, then:

https://xkcd.com/927/

:)

The HMAT enabling I'm trying to do is very passive - it doesn't actively do
*anything* with the memory, it's entire purpose is to give userspace more
information about the memory so userspace can make informed decisions.

Would you be willing to look at the sysfs API I have defined, and see if it
would work for you?

https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/7/6/749

I'll look harder at your enabling and see if we can figure out some common
ground.