Re: iov_iter_pipe warning.

From: Dave Chinner
Date: Sun Sep 10 2017 - 20:31:27 EST

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 12:07:23AM +0100, Al Viro wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 08:08:14AM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:

> > > In this case app is a fuzzer, which is bloody well supposed to poke
> > > into all kinds of odd usage patterns, though...
> >
> > Yup, and we have quite a few tests in xfstests that specifically
> > exercise this same dark corner. We filter out these warnings from
> > the xfstests that exercise this case, though, because we know they
> > are going to be emitted and so aren't a sign of test failures...
>
> BTW, another problem I see there is that iomap_dio_actor() should *NOT*
> assume that do-while loop in there will always manage to shove 'length'
> bytes out in case of success. That is simply not true for pipe-backed
> destination.

splice does not go down the direct IO path, so iomap_dio_actor()
should never be handled a pipe as the destination for the IO data.
Indeed, splice read has to supply the pages to be put into the pipe,
which the DIO path does not do - it requires pages be supplied to
it. So I'm not sure why we'd care about pipe destination limitations
in the DIO path?

> And I'm not sure if outright failures halfway through
> are handled correctly. What does it need a copy of dio->submit.iter for,
> anyway? Why not work with dio->submit.iter directly?

No idea - that's a question for Christoph...

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner