Re: printk: what is going on with additional newlines?

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Sep 17 2017 - 11:35:16 EST

On Sat, Sep 16, 2017 at 11:26 PM, Sergey Senozhatsky
<sergey.senozhatsky@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> so... I think we don't have to update 'struct printk_log'. we can store
> that "extended data" at the beginning of every message, right after the
> prefix.

No, we really can't. That just means that all the tools would have to
be changed to get the normal messages without the extra crud. And
since it will have lost the difference, that's not even easy to do.

So this is exactly the wrong way around.

If people want to see the extra data, it really should be extra data
that you can get with a new interface from the kernel logs. Not a
"let's just a add it to all lines and make every line uglier and
harder to read.

Linus