Re: [RFC] sched/fair: Use wake_q length as a hint for wake_wide

From: Joel Fernandes
Date: Wed Sep 20 2017 - 16:23:41 EST

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 2:33 AM, Brendan Jackman
<brendan.jackman@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 20 2017 at 05:06, Joel Fernandes wrote:
>> [..]

>>> Yes SMP, but your patch is for solving a problem for non-SMP. So your
>>> original statement about wake_affine solving any problem for SMP is
>>> not relevant I feel :-P. I guess you can just kill this para from the
>>> commit message to prevent confusion.
>>
>> Ok I take that back, you were talking about guarding this feature by
>> the SD_ASYM_CPUCAPACITY flag.
>>
>> I don't think that protection would be helpful because you can have
>> the same issue if the tasks do different amount of work on SMP. So in
>> that case some threads might still complete before the others and you
>> run into the same thing.
>
> Well assuming we're still talking about one task per CPU, if you have
> tasks doing different amount of work there's still no reason to move the
> longer-running threads around. The only reason that happens in my
> example is because of the asym capacity.

Yes but you can very well have RT pressure and things that temporarily
change the capacity equality. Also this is a simple benchmark and for
any reason you have more than 1 task running on those other CPUs and
then the idle CPUs run some of the tasks and you run into a similar
situation that might need your patch..

Also one more note, the SD_ASYM_CPUCAPACITY protection is still not
needed because SD_BALANCE_WAKE isn't turned on for
!SD_ASYM_CPUCAPACITY from what I learnt from discussions with Mike, I
believe its this piece of code in sd_init that actually enables it:

if (sd->flags & SD_ASYM_CPUCAPACITY) {
struct sched_domain *t = sd;

for_each_lower_domain(t)
t->flags |= SD_BALANCE_WAKE;