Re: Read-only `slaves` with shared subtrees?

From: Ram Pai
Date: Wed Sep 20 2017 - 20:39:43 EST

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 06:06:55PM -0500, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> ebiederm@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Eric W. Biederman) writes:
>
> > Ram Pai <linuxram@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >
> >> sorry forgot to copy Eric.
> >
> > Adding fs-devel as well.

> > *Blink*
> >
> > Let me reiterate what I think I am seeing. The properties of a
> > propogated mount taking on attributes from the propagation node, where
> > the mount is propagated too.
> >
> > I honestly can't say if any code cares today, but this feels like it
> > will break the principle of least surprise and break someone.
>
> Thinking about this a little I am almost certain this will break
> something.
>
> A common pattern for containers is to have a read-only shared portion
> typically the rootfs and then other mounts that are read-write. If all
> of your propagation nodes hang off of a big read-only mount (and
> therefore need to be read-only) forcing everything else to propagate
> into the container as read-only is likely going to break something.
>
> > We can safely add this extension by adding a new flag or flags that can
> > be set on a pnode that will give the desired semantics. So I expect
> > that is a better model then adding new semantics to MNT_RDONLY.
>
> Which means I think to do this safely we really do need to add a new
> flag.

Yes. This can be made generic, independent of
propagation/shared-subtree semantics.

"Any mount that has been marked as 'propagate-access' will pass-on
its read-write attribute to its children."

'propagate-*' may confuse the reader
into thinking shared-subtree. May be 'pass-on-access' or 'endow-access'
or 'inherit-to-access' :-).

Anyway; so something like this should be possible without breaking
existing semantics.

mount -o bind,remount,ro /mnt
mount --make-pass-on-access /mnt

anything that gets mounted under /mnt will inherit the
'ro' attribute from its parent. And when a mount-event propagates
to a read-only-slave-mount, that new mount will automatically
inherit the read-only attribute from its slave-parent.

Dawid: will that work for you?
RP