[Question] null pointer risk of kernel workqueue

From: tanxiaofei
Date: Sat Sep 23 2017 - 05:05:20 EST

Hi Tejun & Jiangshan,

I find an null pointer risk in the code of workqueue. Here is description:

If draining, __queue_work() will call the function is_chained_work() to do some checks.
In is_chained_work(), worker->current_pwq is used directly. It should be not safe.
http://elixir.free-electrons.com/linux/latest/source/kernel/workqueue.c#L1384

If you check the thread function of this worker, worker_thread(), you will find worker->current_pwq
is null when one work is done or ready to be processed.
This issue may happen only if we queue work during executing drain_workqueue().
http://elixir.free-electrons.com/linux/latest/source/kernel/workqueue.c#L2173

There are very few places to call drain_workqueue() in the whole linux kernel.
I think that's why no one noticed this risk.

Xiaofei Tan