Re: [patch] mremap.2: Add description of old_size == 0 functionality

From: Michal Hocko
Date: Mon Sep 25 2017 - 08:35:16 EST

On Tue 19-09-17 14:11:19, Florian Weimer wrote:
> On 09/18/2017 07:11 PM, Mike Kravetz wrote:
[...]
> > I can drop this wording, but would still like to suggest memfd_create as
> > the preferred method of creating duplicate mappings. It would be good if
> > others on Cc: could comment as well.
>
> mremap seems to work with non-anonymous mappings, too:

only for shared mappings in fact. Because once we have CoW then mremap
will not provide you with the same content as the original mapping.

[...]

> > Just curious, does glibc make use of this today? Or, is this just something
> > that you think may be useful.
>
> To my knowledge, we do not use this today. But it certainly looks very
> useful.

What would be the usecase. I mean why don't you simply create a new
mapping by a plain mmap when you have no guarantee about the same
content?
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs