Re: DMA error when sg->offset value is greater than PAGE_SIZE in Intel IOMMU

From: Casey Leedom
Date: Mon Sep 25 2017 - 19:42:01 EST

| > > |

| > > Hhmmm, shouldn't that be:
| > >
| > > pteval = (page_to_phys(sg_page(sg)) + (sg->offset>>PAGE_SHIFT)) | prot;
| >
| > Yes, I think you're right. We do want to mask off the page-unaligned
| > portion of sg->offset.
|
| Shoulnd't we normalize the entire sg_page(sg) + sg_offset.
|
| if when you only mask the page-unaligned portion i suspect you might be
| pointing to a different region?
|
| something like (sg_page(sg) + (sg->offset << VTD_PAGE_SHIFT))
|
| then add the unaligned part.. sg->offset>>VTD_PAGE_SHIFT
|
| Is this happening because you are using a 2M page? not sure what triggers
| this or causes the driver to get passed in larger than 4K offset, or
| running 32bit kernel?
|
| if its legal to get passed in such odd values, we should fix IOMMU driver to
| handle it properly, otherwise we should atleast fail those requests.

(woof) This is all above me. I've spent a chunk of time fruitlessly
trying to find documentation which says that scatterlist's are allowed to
have offset/length values which extend outside the sg_page(sg). So someone
much more familiar with this stuff is going to need to say what's allowed.

As I said, I've asked Harsh to provide us with a detailed trace of exactly
what he's seeing and what the Scatter/Gather Lists are getting translated
into. That information may make it easier to understand if/how
__domain_mapping() is screwing up ...

Casey