Re: Unreviewed arm64 ABI change in linux-next via driver-core tree

From: Mark Rutland
Date: Tue Sep 26 2017 - 09:16:59 EST

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 01:45:37PM +0100, Will Deacon wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> We stumbled over a change in linux-next that has ABI implications for arm64
> and, as far as we can tell, has not been reviewed:
>
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git/commit/arch/arm64/kernel?id=fb7ff3f8721b87bf078868c9a252fa0cf71a47c2
>
> ("fb7ff3f8721b cpuinfo: implement sysfs nodes for arm64")

> Please can you drop this from your tree until we've had a chance to review
> it properly? If Felix can repost it as above, then we can get the discussion
> started because, aside from this email, we have concerns about exactly what
> is being exposed to userspace here.

Seconded.

Experience with the existing /proc/cpuinfo shows that this needs *very*
careful review.

I've worked on arm64's /proc/cpuinfo, and I'd appreciate being Cc'd on
future postings of this series. I'd also recommend that future postings
are also Cc'd to linux-arch (and maybe linux-api) so that the interface
is reviewed by a larger set of relevant parties.

Thanks,
Mark.