Re: [v8 0/4] cgroup-aware OOM killer

From: Michal Hocko
Date: Mon Oct 02 2017 - 08:24:46 EST

On Sun 01-10-17 16:29:48, Shakeel Butt wrote:

> > Going back to Michal's example, say the user configured the following:
> >
> > root
> > / \
> > A D
> > / \
> > B C
> >
> > A global OOM event happens and we find this:
> > - A > D
> > - B, C, D are oomgroups
> >
> > What the user is telling us is that B, C, and D are compound memory
> > consumers. They cannot be divided into their task parts from a memory
> > point of view.
> >
> > However, the user doesn't say the same for A: the A subtree summarizes
> > and controls aggregate consumption of B and C, but without groupoom
> > set on A, the user says that A is in fact divisible into independent
> > memory consumers B and C.
> >
> > If we don't have to kill all of A, but we'd have to kill all of D,
> > does it make sense to compare the two?
> >

> I think Tim has given very clear explanation why comparing A & D makes
> perfect sense. However I think the above example, a single user system
> where a user has designed and created the whole hierarchy and then
> attaches different jobs/applications to different nodes in this
> hierarchy, is also a valid scenario.

Yes and nobody is disputing that, really. I guess the main disconnect
here is that different people want to have more detailed control over
the victim selection while the patchset tries to handle the most
simplistic scenario when a no userspace control over the selection is
required. And I would claim that this will be a last majority of setups
and we should address it first.

A more fine grained control needs some more thinking to come up with a
sensible and long term sustainable API. Just look back and see at the
oom_score_adj story and how it ended up unusable in the end (well apart
from never/always kill corner cases). Let's not repeat that again now.

I strongly believe that we can come up with something - be it priority
based, BFP based or module based selection. But let's start simple with
the most basic scenario first with a most sensible semantic implemented.

I believe the latest version (v9) looks sensible from the semantic point
of view and we should focus on making it into a mergeable shape.
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs