[sysfs] Sysfs acceptable paths to custom functionality

From: steven
Date: Fri Oct 06 2017 - 01:45:19 EST

I am developing a driver for an audio codec that has fixed DSP functionality. On the device there are coefficients that can be programmed to implement different types of filters that can be used to implement an EQ or 3D sound effects.

Based on what I have seen in the Kernel so far our device is the only one that has this type of feature, but I do believe others exist. Due to this I would like to generalize this as much as possible so user space applications can take advantage of it.

1. Where under /sys/ should I expose these features?

My initial thought for the interface would look something like this:

some_device/
..features/
....eq1/
......band1/
........coefficient_a1
........coefficient_a2
....eq2/
....3dbass/
....3dtreb/

2. Do you see anything wrong with this approach?

Please CC me in your responses.

Regards,

Steven