Re: char/tpm: Improve a size determination in nine functions

From: Andy Shevchenko
Date: Tue Oct 17 2017 - 15:37:37 EST

On Tue, 2017-10-17 at 20:41 +0200, SF Markus Elfring wrote:
> > > p = kmalloc(sizeof(*p), ...);
> > >
> > > The alternative form where struct name is spelled out hurts
> > > readability and
> > > introduces an opportunity for a bug when the pointer variable type
> > > is changed
> > > but the corresponding sizeof that is passed to a memory allocator
> > > is not.
> >

> > before patches are upstreamed?
>
> I imagine that a corresponding source code analysis variant could be
> applied
> in more cases if sufficient acceptance could be achieved.

So, then instead of still keeping people busy with this noise you better
start doing something like CI integration with that for *new* code?

I'm pretty sure you may also exercise your achievements on
drivers/staging where it would be honored.

Have you talked to Fengguang (0-day LKP)? Have you talked to Arnd (I
think he is related to kernel-ci)?

--
Andy Shevchenko <andriy.shevchenko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Intel Finland Oy