Re: [tip:x86/urgent] x86/cpu/AMD: Apply the Erratum 688 fix when the BIOS doesn't

From: Boris Petkov
Date: Sun Oct 22 2017 - 10:59:36 EST

On October 22, 2017 3:04:29 PM GMT+02:00, Peter Zijlstra <peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>I realize this is an erratum work around, but would it be too much to
>ask for a small comment explaining the magic values?

Revision guide doesn't state what those bits are. By the looks of it, they could be some sort of chicken bits turning off something.

>Except for all CPUs that were not online at this point in time... So
>suppose I boot with a limited number of CPUs and then later bring up
>the
>rest, bad things happen.

Well, those are small laptops and they're 1 or 2 CPUs tops and you really really really have to try to shoot yourself in the foot...

--
Sent from a small device: formatting sux and brevity is inevitable.