Re: ce56a86e2a ("x86/mm: Limit mmap() of /dev/mem to valid physical addresses"): kernel BUG at arch/x86/mm/physaddr.c:79!

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Oct 27 2017 - 15:24:37 EST

* Craig Bergstrom <craigb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Reverting seems like the right approach at the moment. My apologies
> for the breakage so late the in the cycle.

Note that there's no need for you to apologize and you carry exactly zero amount
of blame for the late-cycle breakage: it was my decision to send it to Linus so
quickly, you never asked for it to be sent upstream on such a short notice.

( Classic "patch makes sense, looks good, other arches ar doing this too, and I
tested it myself too on multiple systems, so it must be obviously fine for
everyone" moment. )

Your change still makes sense from a robustness POV, so please send it again with
the suggested fixes - and I'll be more careful with the upstream merge this time.

Thanks,

Ingo