Re: [GIT PULL] tracing/samples: Fix creation and deletion of simple_thread_fn creation

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Fri Oct 27 2017 - 21:19:22 EST

On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 16:59:49 -0700
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm back home, which means I do full builds, and that in turn shows
> that this was garbage.

Unfortunately, I'm still in Prague, but I just finished my marathon of
presentations.

> On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 2:21 PM, Steven Rostedt <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Please pull the latest trace-v4.14-rc3 tree, which can be found at:
> >
> > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rostedt/linux-trace.git
> > trace-v4.14-rc3
>
> This causes a compiler warning, for a very valid reason:
>
> > +static bool simple_thread_cnt;
> >
> > int foo_bar_reg(void)
> > {
> > + mutex_lock(&thread_mutex);
> > + if (simple_thread_cnt++)
> > + goto out;
>
> Yeah., take a closer look at that. It's complete and utter BS.
>
> Please send a fix asap, or I'll just revert.

Yes, it is. Being sample code it doesn't get tested in my test suite (I
should fix that) and this is the first pull request I sent you that
didn't go through the testing (because my test suit wouldn't even test
it).

I'll write up a fix on the plane home on Saturday. Expect something by
Sunday.

Sorry about that. :-/

-- Steve