Re: Kernel crash in free_pipe_info()

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Oct 30 2017 - 18:26:37 EST

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 3:14 PM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 1:58 PM, Cong Wang <xiyou.wangcong@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> We got more than a dozen of kernel crashes at free_pipe_info() on our
>> 4.1 kernel, they are all very similar to this one (with slightly
>> different faulty addresses):
>
> Were it not for the pointer to the much more recent powerpc version at
>
> https://www.spinics.net/lists/kernel/msg2616441.html
>
> that you referenced, I'd be inclined to ignore this as much too old.
> Al fixed a number of issues with splice() some time ago.

Hmm. So I tried to google for this oops, and the only oops I find is
hat ppc one you reference.

Was that how you found it too?

The fact that google doesn't report any other oopses would seem to
indicate that this is not a widespread issue. Where are the "more than
a dozen" ones you refer to being reported? I'd like to see them all if
at all possible, to see if there's some pattern to them..

Linus