[RFC V7 0/2] OPP: Allow OPP table to be used for power-domains

From: Viresh Kumar
Date: Tue Oct 31 2017 - 08:47:26 EST

Hi,

Now that the performance state of PM domains are supported by the kernel
(merged in linux-next), I am trying once again to define the bindings
which we dropped until the code is merged first.

This is targeted for 4.16 kernel and I am sending it now to get early
reviews.

The bindings in this series have changed a bit since the time it was
last sent for review [1].

I have taken care of most of the feedback given last time.

Power-domains can also have their active states and this patchset
enhances the OPP binding to define those.

The power domains can use the OPP bindings mostly as is. Though there
are some changes required to support special cases:

- Allow "operating-points-v2" to contain multiple phandles for power
domain providers providing multiple domains.

- A new property "power-domain-opp" is added for devices to specify the
minimum required OPP of the master domain for the functioning of the
device. We can add this property directly to device's node if the
device has a fixed minimum OPP requirement from the master power
domain. Or we can add this property to each OPP node of the device, if
different OPP nodes have different minimum OPP requirement from the
master power domain.

- Allow some of the OPP properties to accept magic values (firmware
dependent) as the OS doesn't know the real freq/voltage values.

--
viresh

[1] https://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=149320428621874&w=2

Viresh Kumar (2):
OPP: Allow OPP table to be used for power-domains
OPP: Allow "opp-hz" and "opp-microvolt" to contain magic values

Documentation/devicetree/bindings/opp/opp.txt | 18 +++++++
.../devicetree/bindings/power/power_domain.txt | 62 ++++++++++++++++++++++
2 files changed, 80 insertions(+)

--
2.15.0.rc1.236.g92ea95045093