Re: [lkp-robot] [android/ion] 5fb70554d6: kernel_selftests.android.make_fail

From: Shuah Khan
Date: Wed Nov 01 2017 - 12:58:13 EST

On 11/01/2017 10:26 AM, Pintu Kumar wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 8:34 PM, Shuah Khan <shuah@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> I tried something similar, but it did not help.
>>> Or may be I could not understand how to incorporate this into my code
>>> to make it work.
>>> Basically, when I do make in gpio, it automatically does this using:
>>> make -C headers_install.
>>> But in my case, this command is not getting invoked, using the following:
>>> ../../../../../drivers/staging/android/uapi/ion.h:
>>> make -C ../../../../.. headers_install
>>> INSTALL_HDR_PATH=$(shell pwd)/../../../../usr/
>>>

>>> https://kernelnewbies.org/KernelHeaders
>>> It says:
>>> [The correct way to address this problem is to isolate the specific
>>> interfaces that you need, e.g. a single header file that is patched in
>>> a new kernel providing the ioctl numbers for a character device used
>>> by your program. In your own program, add a copy of that source file,
>>> with a notice that it should be kept in sync with new kernel
>>> versions.]
>>>
>>> According to this, it looks like we should maintain the local copy of
>>> the header file, until it is available.
>>> I also saw a similar approach in other selftests.
>>>
>>> So, for time being shall I create a local copy of ion.h ?
>>>

>> Sorry. I am late in responding.

>> Since staging headers aren't included in the headers install for good
>> reasons, I have two suggestions:
>>
>> 1. Use bpf as an example:
>>
>> You will find a local include/uapi under bpf and the Makefile looks
>> there first for headers.
>>
>> Also, as Greg suggested, please add comments to indicate that this
>> header needs to be kept in sync with one from staging.
>>
>> This does make a copy of the header which isn't great.
>>
>> 2. Add a include line in the Makefile directly to point to the uapi
>>
>> drivers/staging/android/uapi
>>
>> The downside to this approach is if selftests are built outside the
>> tree, then that would be a problem. However, being able to build selftests
>> outside the tree requires creating a tarball of the sources first. This
>> header could be added for that special case.
>>
>> I would recommend option 2 to go forward and if that doesn't work, we can
>> refine it.
>
> Thank you for your reply and suggestions.
> The option 2 is already present, if you see my Makefile.
> But this option does not work if built outside the kernel source tree.
> So, I am trying to maintain a local copy of ion.h

So where does the test source reside for outside builds? Is this test hosted
on GitHub?

I am not opposed to the idea of a local copy. I am trying to understand the
outside env. that this test needs to be built? I am assuming ion test gets built
as an independent test and nor from kernel source tree?

thaks,
-- Shuah