get_online_cpus() from a preemptible() context (bug?)

From: James Morse
Date: Fri Nov 03 2017 - 10:47:35 EST

Hi Thomas, Peter,

I'm trying to work out what stops a thread being pre-empted and migrated between
calling get_online_cpus() and put_online_cpus().

According to __percpu_down_read(), its the pre-empt count:
> * Due to having preemption disabled the decrement happens on
> * the same CPU as the increment, avoiding the
> * increment-on-one-CPU-and-decrement-on-another problem.

So this:
> void cpus_read_lock(void)
> {
> percpu_down_read(&cpu_hotplug_lock);
> +
> + /* Can we migrated before we release this per-cpu lock? */
> + WARN_ON(preemptible());
> }

should never fire?

It does, some of the offenders:
> kmem_cache_create
> apply_workqueue_attrs
> stop_machine
> static_key_enable
> lru_add_drain_all
> __cpuhp_setup_state
> kmem_cache_shrink
> vmstat_shepherd
> __cpuhp_state_add_instance

Trying to leave preempt disabled between the down/up leads to
scheduling-while-atomic instead.

Can you point out what I've missed here?

Thanks,

James