Re: [vlan_device_event] BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at 6b6b6ccf

From: Girish Moodalbail
Date: Thu Nov 09 2017 - 10:50:02 EST

On 11/8/17 10:34 PM, Cong Wang wrote:
On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 7:12 PM, Fengguang Wu <fengguang.wu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Alex,

So looking over the trace the panic seems to be happening after a
decnet interface is getting deleted. Is there any chance we could try
compiling the kernel without decnet support to see if that is the
source of these issues? I don't know if anyone on the Intel Wired Lan
team is testing with that enabled so if we can eliminate that as a
possible cause that would be useful.

Sure and thank you for the suggestion!

It looks disabling DECNET still triggers the vlan_device_event BUG.
However when looking at the dmesgs, I find another warning just before
the vlan_device_event BUG. Not sure if it's related one or independent
now-fixed issue.

Those decnet symbols are probably noises.

Right. This is a 32-bit Kernel compiled with CONFIG_PREEMPT=y (I am guessing that this has exposed some lock bug). Also, VLAN (8021q) is compiled into the kernel, so it registers a vlan_device_event() callback on boot. There may not be a VLAN device per-se.

Upon receiving NETDEV_DOWN event, we are calling

vlan_vid_del(dev, htons(ETH_P_8021Q), 0);

which in turn calls call_rcu() to queue vlan_info_free_rcu() to be called at some point. This free function frees the array[] (vlan_info.vlan_grp.vn_devices_array). My guess is that vlan_info_free_rcu() is being called first and then the array[] is being accessed in vlan_device_event().

The netifd daemon in OpenWRT is marking the interface down and that is why it is generating NETDEV_DOWN event. And it uses ioctl(SIOCSIFFLAGS, ~IFF_UP) on a AF_UNIX socket. This results in a call to dev_ifsioc() in the kernel with only rtnl_lock() held and it is not in RCU read critical section.

~Girish

How do you reproduce it? And what is your setup? Vlan device on
top of your eth0 (e1000)?