Re: [btrfs] WARNING: CPU: 0 PID: 6379 at fs/direct-io.c:293 dio_complete+0x1d4/0x220

From: Theodore Ts'o
Date: Tue Nov 14 2017 - 12:18:11 EST

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 02:01:36PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> And in the end, maybe even the warning is pointless. You used
> direct-IO and cached IO at the same time, and you got coherency
> issues. What did you expect? directio is fundamentally broken.

A single warning per inode, "page cache coherency broken due to direct
I/O; userspace did a dumb thing; oh, well" is probably more than
sufficient. The reason to have the warning is so that when the user
complains about the file system bug, we can point at the "userspace
did a dumb thing" warning message.

- Ted