Re: [GIT PULL] MD update for 4.15-rc1

From: Mike Snitzer
Date: Tue Nov 14 2017 - 20:14:39 EST

On Tue, Nov 14 2017 at 7:14pm -0500,
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So I've pulled this, but have a question:
>
> On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 11:56 AM, Shaohua Li <shli@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Mike Snitzer (1):
> > md: rename some drivers/md/ files to have an "md-" prefix
>
> is this really sensible? I know I absolutely hate what things like
> this does to tab-completion, because everything now has the same
> prefix.
>
> And it's not like it adds any value - the "md" is already there in the
> directory name.
>
> So honestly, if this was code that I regularly looked at (it isn't),
> I'd probably not be happy. As it is, I don't really care all that
> much, just wanted to check.
>
> Why is it "md-faulty,c", but "raid5.c", for example?
>
> And if it's to try to separate the "dm-xyz" vs "md-xyz" ones, maybe
> making this an actual directory structure rather than a prefix would
> be better?
>
> Just throwing this out.

I see you already took the change; but regardless the idea of splitting
MD and DM files into separate directories was explored briefly (by me).
I stopped short of that because dm-raid.c does share code with md (see
all the md includes at the top of dm-raid.c).

Would require more extensive work to formalize the MD interfaces through
include/linux/ which wasn't a priority to tackle. I was just after
stopping the various janitor DM patch submissions from spamming
linux-raid and shli. So went with the quickest way to express discrete
MD and DM files within the MAINTAINERS file.

Mike