Re: 4.1 EOL

From: Jani Nikula
Date: Wed Nov 15 2017 - 05:03:44 EST

On Tue, 14 Nov 2017, Tuncer Ayaz <tuncer.ayaz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 11/14/17, Jani Nikula <jani.nikula@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Tuncer, where's your bug report? Can't find one. Please file your
>> bug at the fdo bugzilla.
>
> I'm sorry if this wasn't clear.
>
> I didn't file a bug report since others have already done so,
> reporting the same symptoms. I did sign up yesterday to confirm this
> in the most recent bug report. And I don't think it makes sense to
> re-file the exact same report.
>
> The way I arrived there is via another post in a forum post related to
> x220 regressions, but it doesn't look exclusive to Sandybridge GPUs.

The freedesktop.org bugs you reference are for rather different
platforms than yours. There's nothing there to indicate v4.1 being the
last known good kernel like for you. There is no exact same report.

Please file the bug. Please run v4.14 or drm-tip branch from [1]. Please
remove all other module parameters, but add drm.debug=14, and attach the
dmesg from boot to the problem. Please attach the GPU error state if you
get a GPU hang. Please let us decide if we've seen the bug before or
not.

We've been continuously improving our CI and test assets and expanding
the hardware pool we run the tests on for years now. Even so, bugs
obviously slip through. And it's really *really* hard to revert anything
or fix regressions when we get the reports about two years or a dozen
kernel releases after we've broken stuff. :(

BR,
Jani.

[1] https://cgit.freedesktop.org/drm/drm-tip