Re: Re: edt-ft5x06 question

From: Giulio Benetti
Date: Wed Nov 15 2017 - 11:31:06 EST

Hi Luca,

I had problems with e-mail filter, so I rebuilt yours by hand.
Forgive me.

See below.

Thanks
Kind regards

> Hi Giulio,
>
> On 14/11/2017 22:42, Giulio Benetti wrote:
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > I'm using ft5206 with edt-ft5x06.c driver,
> > but what I see is that registers with M09 or M06
> > seem different from focaltech ft5206
> > https://www.buydisplay.com/download/ic/FT5206.pdf
> >
> > For example, except address 0x80 for threshold register(thgroup),
> > all the others don't appear:
> > GAIN 0x30 or 0x92 should be 0x82(thcal maybe?)
> >
> > Can someone clarify this?
>
> Are you having any problems, or just investigating?

I need to add some other IC register to calibrate sensibility with different glasses, but starting from ft5x06 or other Focaltech standard IC FW.

> > Maybe M06 or M09 are a custom firmware for focaltech ft5x,
> > then it has different registers?
>
> All the FT5x06 are 8051-based chips designed to implement touchscreen
> controllers. The FT5x26 are similar but with a more powerful core
> (Cortex-M IIRC).
>
> As far as I could understand and guess, their register interface is
> fully implemented in firmware, so it could change completely from one
> panel to another. However all panels that I have seen seem to use
> firmwares with either the "M06" or the "M09" protocol, which are
> implemented in the Linux driver.

In my case driver recognizes M09, but only address 0x80 register(thgroup) is correct.
The others:
GAIN: 0x92
GAIN: 0x93
GAIN: 0x94
GAIN: 0x95

are not described in that datasheet.
The point is that datasheet seems to be official by Focaltech,
like if they deliver that IC with a standard FW inside.
I can't find a way to safely probe if it's a standard FW or from EDT M09 or M06.
I wouldn't write a different driver ft5x.c because it's a repeatition,
but EDT seems a special version(FW) of ft5x.

Maybe on dt-bindings I could force to be EDT or standard.
On legacy sunxi-3.4 the driver handled this as datasheet I mentioned.
What do you think?

> The driver also performs some checks to understand which of the two
> protocols is implemented by the controller. These checks are quite
> horrible, but they worked for me.

I have FW with registers as described at https://www.buydisplay.com/download/ic/FT5206.pdf
and I would like to add them as attributes more and dt-bindings to improve trimming.
I would call those registers the same as manual:
THGROUP
THCAL
etc.

And I would also like to add a tasklet that recalibrate every minute(specified by attr or dt-binding).
I want to do this(already done succesfully on 3.4) because I've experienced problems on temperature and mechanical drifts.

--
Giulio Benetti
R&D Manager &

MICRONOVA SRL
Sede: Via A. Niedda 3 - 35010 Vigonza (PD)
Tel. 049/8931563 - Fax 049/8931346
Cod.Fiscale - P.IVA 02663420285
Capitale Sociale € 26.000 i.v.
Iscritta al Reg. Imprese di Padova N. 02663420285
Numero R.E.A. 258642