Re: [GIT PULL] usercopy whitelisting for v4.15-rc1

From: Matthew Garrett
Date: Mon Nov 20 2017 - 15:09:47 EST

On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 01:13:10PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> So the hardening efforts should instead _start_ from the standpoint of
> "let's warn about what looks dangerous, and maybe in a _year_ when
> we've warned for a long time, and we are confident that we've actually
> caught all the normal cases, _then_ we can start taking more drastic
> measures".

Can you clarify a little with regard to how you'd have liked this
patchset to look? With
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/kees/linux.git/commit/?h=usercopy-v4.15-rc1&id=93edfb33387772a9ae7693ddf9811280ffc4025b
it seems pretty like we're at the end goal you've described (default to
a mode that generates a warning rather than returning an error), so is
it just that this appeared at the end of the patchset development
process rather than being there from the beginning?

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx