Re: Dell Vostro 3360 multimedia keys

From: Oleksandr Natalenko
Date: Tue Nov 21 2017 - 09:53:25 EST

Hi, Pali et al.

Answers go inline.

On Ãterà 21. listopadu 2017 14:51:10 CET Pali RohÃr wrote:

> What would happen if you enable wmi_requires_smbios_request? Nothing?
> And situation is exactly same?

Yes, this is what I did with DMI quirk which enables
wmi_requires_smbios_request. Keys "1" and "2" behave the same, key "3" gets
reported via both atkbd and wmi (see my thoughts about this key below).

> Mario, can you comment why Dell Vostro 3360 generates same WMI keycode
> event for two different keys and distinguish key via third value in WMI
> buffer? Looks like this is first Dell machine which do such thing.
>
> Or is needed some magic sequence to enable those media keys on Dell
> Vostr 3360 to work correctly? We already have some special "enable" code
> for Dell Inspirion M5110 and Dell Vostro V131.

FWIW, just as a side note, I've managed to decompile DSDT, replace keycodes
for all 3 keys, mute 3rd key via setkeycodes to make it work via wmi only (not
via atkbd), and added new keycodes to 0000 table. Now all 3 keys work.

> /* snip */
> > + /* Dell Vostro 3360 combined keycode */
> > + { KE_KEY, 0xe0f1, { KEY_PROG1 } },
> > + { KE_KEY, 0xe0f2, { KEY_PROG2 } },
>
> What is purpose of those two keys? Does not linux kernel already have
> better description for them as KEY_PROG1 and KEY_PROG2?

Well, I didn't find KEY_PROG1/KEY_PROG2 in 0000 table. Thus, I just added
them. Actually, since these keys have some icons drawn on them, they have some
designated purpose (most likely, Windows-related), but I'd rather think of
them as of custom programmable keys without any specific function assigned.

> /* snip */
> > Third key (the one that is handled via PS/2 keyboard) produces this in the
> > kernel buffer:
> / *snip */
>
> Seems you still have not configured keycode for your internal PS/2
> keyboard to make this key working. Use 'setkeycodes 60 <keycode>' as
> written in dmesg.

Well, I've tried. The problem is that if I even configure this key via
setkeycodes, it doesn't work. evtest shows me "value 2" (the same value is
shown if I press and hold some ordinary key, like "A", for instance) instead
of 0 and/or 1. Looks like key press event is not generated properly by this
key via atkbd.

That's why I think wmi_requires_smbios_request quirk must be permanently
enabled for this laptop, and 3rd key must be handled via wmi (like two other
keys), not via atkbd. And all atkbd events from this key must be just
suppressed via userspace.

> > The only question that remains is how to avoid this ugly hack with OR'ing
> > multiple values. Apparently, calling dell_wmi_process_key() with only INF2
> > DSDT field is insufficient to distinguish two different keys with the same
> > code.
>
> After Mario (from @Dell) clarifies how to handle your laptop, I can
> write patch for dell-wmi.c driver.
>
> And if there be no statement, then I would try to clean your patch.
> There is probably no better option then checking it in buffer/event
> handling.

OK, then please also consider what I've written about 3rd key above. It must
be handled via wmi too.

> > Also, I've noticed this remark:
> >
> > ===
> > /* Other entries could contain additional information */
> > ===
> >
> > As you may see, they indeed do. Any unimplemented idea behind this
> > statement?
> If you look into dell_wmi_keymap_type_0000[] array there are comments
> what is after some key codes. E.g. after key code for brightness up/down
> may be value which represent new brightness level. But all those data
> are not parsed as dell-wmi does not need it and because those data are
> send also via different interfaces (e.g. brightness level via standard
> ACPI methods...).

I see. But here those data are needed to be parsed, it seemsâ

Thanks.

Regards,
Oleksandr