Re: [patch V4 01/11] Documentation: Add license-rules.rst to describe how to properly identify file licenses

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Nov 25 2017 - 14:12:10 EST

On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 9:04 AM, Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxx> wrote:

> That does not sound like he was deciding between /* */ and //. And
> actually this was in context of files with no existing license. You
> made the ugly patches. Stop hiding behind Linus.

No, Linus happily stands up for //.

I really don't like one-liner /* */ comments. Let's face it, // was
the _one_ thing C++ got right, among all the horrible bad decisions.

I think we should just start moving to // in general, but only when
adding new ones (ie I don't want to see any automatic conversion
patches).

And it's _particularly_ true for the whole case where we mix
one-liners like the SPDX line with block comments. That's where /* */
really sucks.

Linus