Re: [GIT PULL] RISC-V Cleanups and ABI Fixes for 4.15-rc2

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Dec 01 2017 - 19:47:58 EST

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 4:39 PM, Palmer Dabbelt <palmer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've been maintaining the various cleanup patch sets I have as their own
> branches, which I then merged together and signed. Each merge commit
> has a short summary of the changes, and each branch is based on your
> latest tag (4.15-rc1, in this case). If this isn't the right way to do
> this then feel free to suggest something else, but it seems sane to me.

The individual branches with merges look fine.

What I don't really like is how very recent they are. Many of the
commits were done today, and thus clearly were never through the 0-day
robot etc.

I don't actually think the 0day robot does RISC-V at all, at least not
yet, so in this case it probably doesn't really matter, but in general
I _hate_ seeing pull requests that come in on a Friday afternoon where
a lot of the commits clearly happened that same day. It's simply a
sign of things likely having been rushed, which in turn often leads to
issues down the line.

So the structure of the history looks ok, but I hope that "very
recently made" is a one-time thing rather than a pattern. Ok?

Linus