Re: [RFC PTI 1/3] x86/pti: Vastly simplify pgd synchronization

From: Dave Hansen
Date: Fri Dec 08 2017 - 15:22:04 EST

>From a high level, what finally allowed this to happen? Because
kpti_add_user_map() all went away, including the LDT one?

> + if (pgdp_maps_userspace(pgdp)) {
> /*
> + * The user page tables get the full PGD,
> + * accessible from userspace:
> */
> + kernel_to_user_pgdp(pgdp)->pgd = pgd.pgd;
> +
> + /*
> + * If this is normal user memory, make it NX in the kernel
> + * pagetables so that, if we somehow screw up and return to
> + * usermode with the kernel CR3 loaded, we'll get a page
> + * fault instead of allowing user code to execute with
> + * the wrong CR3.
> + *
> + * As exceptions, we don't set NX if:
> + * - this is EFI or similar, the kernel may execute from it
> + * - we don't have NX support
> + * - we're clearing the PGD (i.e. pgd.pgd == 0).
> + */
> + if ((pgd.pgd & _PAGE_USER) && (__supported_pte_mask & _PAGE_NX))
> + pgd.pgd |= _PAGE_NX;

I scratched my head for a sec to realize why you didn't need an explicit
pgd.pgd==0 check. It's part of the _PAGE_USER check, which is a bit
confusing. Could we do:

if ((pgd.pgd & (_PAGE_USER|_PAGE_PRESENT)) &&
(__supported_pte_mask & _PAGE_NX))

And change the comment:

* As exceptions, we don't set NX fo:
* - PGDs without _PAGE_USER: Assume this is for a weird in-kernel
* user like EFI from which we may need to execute.
* - PGDs withoout _PAGE_PRESENT: PGD is being cleared, must
* not set _PAGE_NX
* - we don't have NX support

> } else {
> /*
> + * Changes to the high (kernel) portion of the kernelmode
> + * page tables are not automatically propagated to the
> + * usermode tables.
> + *
> + * Users should keep in mind that, unlike the kernelmode
> + * tables, there is no vmalloc_fault equivalent for the
> + * usermode tables. Top-level entries added to init_mm's
> + * usermode pgd after boot will not be automatically
> + * propagated to other mms.
> */
> - WARN_ON_ONCE(system_state == SYSTEM_RUNNING);
> }
> #endif

How does the VSYSCALL page get into the user page tables now?