Re: Linux 4.15-rc2: Regression in resume from ACPI S3

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Dec 10 2017 - 15:31:19 EST

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 10:56 AM, Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Confirmed, revert fixes it. You see how it moves fix_processor_context
> around #ifdef CONFIG_X86_32 block? And how people forget 32-bit
> machines exist? Aha.

Yeah, people do.

Andy?

> Which brings me to .. various people do automated testing of
> kernel. Testing 32-bit kernel for boot, and both 32-bit and 64-bit for
> boot and suspend would be very nice. The last item is not hard, either:
>
> sudo rtcwake -l -m mem -s 5
>
> ...should take 10 seconds or so.

I'm told 0day does *some* suspend/resume testing, but I think it's
pretty limited, partly because the kinds of machines it primarily
works on don't really support suspend/resume at all. I'm also not sure
just how many of those machines are 32-bit at all..

But I'm adding Zhang Rui to the cc, to see if my recollection is right.

Because you're right, more suspend/resume automated testing would be
good to have. And yes, people test mainly 64-bit these days.

Also, I'm not even sure what the 0day rules are for just plain
mainline. I don't tend to see a lot of breakage reports, even though
I'd expect to. This came in from the x86 trees (and those do their own
tests too, but probably not suspend/resume either), but it hit my tree
fairly soon after going into the x86 -tip trees.

Linus