Re: general protection fault in show_timer

From: Eric Biggers
Date: Thu Dec 14 2017 - 13:36:16 EST

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 04:34:12PM +0100, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Dec 2017, Dmitry Vyukov wrote:
> > >
> > > I learned yesterday that syzboz is understuffed and cannot test patches, so
> > > I need to find a minute to run the reproducer myself and verify that the
> > > patch is correct.
> >
> > Hi Thomas,
> >
> > Why do you say so? Have you tried to ask it to test?
> > https://github.com/google/syzkaller/blob/master/docs/syzbot.md#communication-with-syzbot
> > What happened?
>
> Eric explained that to me yesterday and I did not try yet.

Your patch definitely fixes the bug (I tested the C reproducers, you just need
to build a kernel with CONFIG_CHECKPOINT_RESTORE=y and CONFIG_POSIX_TIMERS=y,
then run them). The real question is whether the check being introduced is too
strict -- are there users passing in other values for ->sigev_notify that would
be broken? That I can't really answer.

Eric