Re: PROBLEM: 4.15.0-rc3 APIC causes lockups on Core 2 Duo laptop

From: Dou Liyang
Date: Tue Dec 19 2017 - 22:59:16 EST

Hi Thomas,

At 12/20/2017 08:31 AM, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
On Tue, 19 Dec 2017, Alexandru Chirvasitu wrote:

I had never heard of 'bisect' before this casual mention (you might tell
I am a bit out of my depth). I've since applied it to Linus' tree between

bebc608 Linux 4.14 (good)

and

4fbd8d1 Linux 4.15-rc1 (bad)

Is Linus current head 4.15-rc4 bad as well?

[...]

Thanks for doing that bisect, but unfortunately this commit cannot be the
problematic one, It merily adds a config symbol, but it does not change any
code at all. It has no effect whatsoever. So something might have gone
wrong in your bisecting.

Agree.

I CC'ed Dou Liyang. He has changed the early APIC setup code and there has
been an issue reported already. Though I lost track of that. Dou, any
^^^^^^^^ Is it this one?
      https://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=151188084018443
pointers?

Not sure, but seems the APIC failed to start in that 32-bit system.

I will look into it.

Alex,

Could you give me your .config file and the dmesg-log of 4.15.0-rc3.

Thanks,
dou