Re: PROBLEM: 4.15.0-rc3 APIC causes lockups on Core 2 Duo laptop

From: Thomas Gleixner
Date: Thu Dec 28 2017 - 11:10:40 EST

On Thu, 28 Dec 2017, Alexandru Chirvasitu wrote:
> Actually, it decided to cooperate for just long enough for me to get
> the dmesg out. Attached.
>
> This is from the kernel you asked about: Dou's patch + yours, i.e. the
> latest one in that git log I just sent, booted up with 'apic=debug'.

Ok. As I suspected that warning does not trigger. I would have been
massively surprised if that happened. So Dou's patch is just a red herring
and just might change the timing enough to make the problem 'hide'.

Can you try something completely different please?

Just use plain Linus tree without any additional patches on top and disable
CONFIG_NO_HZ_IDLE, i.e. select CONFIG_HZ_PERIODIC.

If that works, then reenable it and add 'nohz=off' to the kernel command
line.

Thanks,

tglx