Re: 4.15-rc6+ hang

From: Tom Hromatka
Date: Thu Jan 04 2018 - 23:07:53 EST

On 01/04/2018 07:22 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 5:36 PM, Tom Hromatka <tom.hromatka@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am seeing a hang running kernel 4.15-rc6+ on a vanilla VirtualBox VM.
(VirtualBox version 5.0.40)
Any chance of bisecting this?

I could imagine that all the stuff we now do for page table isolation
might confuse the VM.

Yes, I can try and bisect this.

When I boot this kernel, it hangs and falls back into dracut. Here's
the boot log immediately prior to the hang:
So a few questions:

(a) does it work with "pti=no" on the kernel command line

pti=no also hung in the same fashion with the 4.15-rc6+
kernel.

(b) what was the last kernel that worked? Is 4.15-rc5 fine, for example?

4.15-rc5 hung as well. I'll go further back and see what I
can find.

[ 0.000000] ------------[ cut here ]------------
[ 0.000000] XSAVE consistency problem, dumping leaves
I think this is a vbox issue, with virtualbox not exposing all the
xsave state, so that when the kernel adds up the xsave areas, the end
result doesn't match what the total size is reported to be.

It seems probable that this is a VirtualBox issue. I was
able to boot my exact 4.15-rc6+ kernel in qemu-kvm v1.5.3
just fine.

I suspect you _should_ have gotten that before too, independently of the hang.

4.15-rc5 also exhibits the xsave issue in VirtualBox.

Thanks.

Tom

Linus