Re: cgroups(7): documenting cgroups v2 thread mode

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Tue Jan 09 2018 - 16:10:25 EST

Hello,

On Tue, Jan 02, 2018 at 07:24:01PM +0100, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
> 2. We write the string "threaded" to each of the domain invalid
> cgroups under y, in order to convert them to the type
> threaded. As a consequence of this step, all threads under
> the threaded root now have the type threaded and the
> threaded subtree is now fully usable. The requirement to
> write "threaded" to each of these cgroups is somewhat cumâ
> bersome, but allows for possible future extensions to the
> thread-mode model.
>
> âââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââ
> âFIXME â
> âââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââ
> âRe the preceding paragraphs... Are there other reaâ â
> âsosn for the (cumbersome) requirement to write â
> â'threaded' to each of the cgroup.type files in the â
> âthreaded subtrees? Tejun Heo mentioned the followâ â
> âing: â
> â â
> â Consistency w/ the cgroups right under the root â
> â cgroup. Because they can be both domains and â
> â threadroots, we can't switch the children over â
> â to thread mode automatically. Doing that for â
> â cgroups further down in the hierarchy would be â
> â really inconsistent. â
> â â
> âBut, it's not clear to me how "Doing that for â
> âcgroups further down in the hierarchy would be â
> âreally inconsistent", since in the current implemenâ â
> âtation, those same thread groups are converted to â
> â"domain invalid" type. What am I missing? â
> âââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââ

Yeah, I was confused with an earlier varient where we were marking
threaded domains instead of threaded roots. It's mostly about future
extensibility (especially as Waiman was proposing related changes
there) and not doing things automatically / recursively if possible.

Looks good to me.

Thanks.

--
tejun