Re: AMD EPYC microcode update bug?

From: Gabriel C
Date: Tue Jan 09 2018 - 18:37:56 EST

On 10.01.2018 00:06, Gabriel C wrote:
On 1/9/2018 4:28 PM, Gabriel C wrote:
Hello ,

I'm testing an EPYC system right now with 2 EPYC 7281 16-Core Processors.

I'm on 4.15.0-rc7 and tested an update to microcode_amd_fam17h.bin.

First run was made by using the early microcode option with dracut[1]
so loading from a initrd. the driver reported 63 updated CPUs while CPU0
got still old microcode.

I'm guessing that memory encryption is enabled, correct? I've submitted a
patch series to perform early initrd decryption for just this problem. I'm
incorporating some minor feedback and getting ready to submit the next
version.

Yes is correct I use mem_encrypt=on and SMT on in BIOS.

Can you give me an link to the patch series ?

In the meantime, if you specify mem_encrypt=off on the kernel command line
it should show CPU0 updated properly (with mem_encrypt=on and SMT enabled,
I believe it really does get updated when the sibling hread is updated -
do a rdmsr of 0x0000008b to verify).

I give that an test in a bit , the box is running now some test for a
different EPYC issue :)

( https://community.amd.com/thread/224000 )

With mem_encrypt=off all is working fine from a initrd with SMT ON

Reagrds,

Gabriel C