Re: [linux, dev-4.10, 6/6] drivers/hwmon: Add a driver for a generic PECI hwmon

From: Jae Hyun Yoo
Date: Thu Jan 11 2018 - 19:26:12 EST

On 1/11/2018 3:53 PM, Andrew Lunn wrote:
On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 03:14:37PM -0800, Jae Hyun Yoo wrote:
On 1/11/2018 2:18 PM, Andrew Lunn wrote:
+static const struct of_device_id peci_of_table[] = {
+ { .compatible = "peci-hwmon", },

This does not look like a reference to some piece of hardware.

This driver provides generic PECI hwmon function to which controller has
PECI HW such as Aspeed or Nuvoton BMC chip so it's not dependant on a
specific hardware. Should I remove this or any suggestion?

PECI seems to be an Intel thing. So at least it should be

{ .compatible = "intel,peci-hwmon", }

assuming it is actually compatible with the Intel specification.

Andrew

Yes, PECI is an Intel thing but this driver is running on an ARM kernel on
Aspeed or Nuvoton chipsets for now. This driver will be monitoring a host
server's Intel CPU and DIMM which is running on a separated OS.

Hi Jae

You need to be careful with the name then. You should not claim the
name 'peci' in case somebody actually implements a PECI driver which
is compatible with Intel PECI.

However, looking at other comments, it seems like this part is going
away, if you turn your code into a bus driver.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I see. I'll keep that in mind and will keep finding if there is any better way. Thanks for sharing your thought.

Jae