Re: Improve retpoline for Skylake

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Date: Fri Jan 12 2018 - 17:04:00 EST

On Fri, 12 Jan 2018, Andi Kleen wrote:
> > Skylake still loses if it takes an SMI, right?
>
> SMMs are usually rare, especially on servers, and are usually
> not very predictible, and even if you have

FWIW, a data point: SMIs can be generated on demand by userspace on
thinkpad laptops, but they will be triggered from within a kernel
context. I very much doubt this is a rare pattern...

However, since in this vendor-firmware-nastyness pattern the SMIs are
fired off from inside the kernel (inside the ACPI subsystem), it would
be covered by the mitigations done when entering the kernel from
syscalls and hardware interrupts. Hopefully.

--
Henrique Holschuh