Re: [RFC 0/6] Enlightened VMCS support for KVM on Hyper-V

From: David Hildenbrand
Date: Tue Jan 16 2018 - 09:56:46 EST

On 16.01.2018 15:43, Vitaly Kuznetsov wrote:
> Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>>> I don't think we share VMCS among vCPUs, do we?
>>
>> VMCS is just memory, so who knows what a malicious L1 guest will do.
>> But for vmread/vmwrite we can go through hypervisor memory, for
>> enlightened VMCS we cannot.
>>

> True; not sure if Hyper-V actually copies the data to some internal
> storage, probably it does. TLFS explicitly forbids making the same
> enlightened VMCS active on several vCPUs simultaneously but again, this
> is just memory...

FWIF, on nested s390x we pin the guest provided SIE control block ("SCB"
- s390x VMCS12). As this is just guest memory, another VCPU can write to
that memory.

When building our shadow SCB ("VMCS02"), we directly access the pinned
block, but we basically only copy values and mask them for the critical
parts (execution controls).

However, as I realize, the compiler might fetch values several times, so
we better add READ_ONCE() to these places. Will look into that.

--

Thanks,

David / dhildenb