Re: [RFP] iio: Support of gesture sensor as a standard IIO sensor

From: Jonathan Cameron
Date: Sat Jan 20 2018 - 10:22:48 EST

On Thu, 18 Jan 2018 23:40:26 +0100
Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > From an IIO sensor point of view A Gesture sensor:
> > Outputs
> > A pre defined activity type
> > WAKE
> > TILT
> > GLANCE
> > PICK_UP
> > Â&
> > Âmore
> >
> > A user defined activity type as "string"
>
> Pre-defined activities are easy.
>
> But what about user-defined activities? We'd really like common
> interface across different hardware...

Nasty to handle indeed. It may be the best we can do initially
at least is user_definedN or similar. No way of constraining
users from uploading something really odd that we can't define
an interface for (hopping whilst holding a phone in
their teeth?)

> > Inputs
> > A raw binary cdev interface to download templates/patterns
>
> ....and "raw binary" will not work across different hardware :-(.

Sadly there probably isn't much we can do about the format being custom.
Best bet would ultimately be if there was at least a standard tool
to generate the files for different devices...