Re: [RFC 05/10] x86/speculation: Add basic IBRS support infrastructure

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Mon Jan 22 2018 - 07:06:31 EST

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 10:51:53AM +0100, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> That wouldn't be enough; AFAIU there's people with this stuff already
> flashed in their BIOS. So the kernel needs to deal with it one way or
> another.

Not a lot we can do there except maybe disable IBRS on those and users
can go and complain to their BIOS vendor to give them a downgrade or
they can downgrade themselves.

If we had free BIOS, this would've been a whole different story...

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix ImendÃrffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG NÃrnberg)