Re: [GIT PULL] PCI fixes for v4.15

From: Christian KÃnig
Date: Wed Jan 24 2018 - 12:27:29 EST

Am 24.01.2018 um 17:40 schrieb Linus Torvalds:
On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 8:20 AM, Bjorn Helgaas <helgaas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Bjorn, maybe you can send Catalin an example mbox?
Attaching the one I used above.
Heh. That's a mess. It has

but then the name in the body is actually Latin1-encoded if I read it correctly.

Yes, looks like it.

Git will auto-convert invalid utf-8 by assuming it is latin1, so it
all ends up working, but Christian did something wrong in his mailer
too.

The mailer I used was just "git send-email" and I just confirmed with hexdump that my .gitconfig contains the name in utf-8.

And when I use "git format-patch" the resulting file contains the name in utf-8 as well.

So, no idea when that got translated to latin1.

Regards,
Christian.