Re: nvmem: add driver for Microchip 24AA025E48 I2C eeprom / nodeID chip

From: Bartosz Golaszewski
Date: Thu Jan 25 2018 - 16:46:09 EST

>>> Yes it does. Actually the driver I wrote 3 years ago is based on the
>>> at24 driver. Lot's of code in my driver originates directly from the
>>> at24 driver.
>>>
>>> --
>>> regards Felix
>>
>> Just from looking at the doc - it seems that it's a variant of
>> 24mac402. You should be able to access the memory block by
>> instantiating an 'atmel,24c02' device. As for the EUI-48 block -
>> current at24 driver will not work as the MAC is located at a different
>> offset in this chip. We need to figure out a portable way to specify
>> the addresses of such special blocks (same with the serial number) in
>> the at24 driver.
>>
>> Anyways - don't write your own driver for that, just make sure at24 works.
>>
> If no one offends against blowing up this driver by some more code, then
> that's fine with me. What about a patch that does the following:
>
> 1. Extend the DT bindings by a new optional property block_offset
> denoting where to start reading/writing from/to this device.
> 2. Add a member block_offset to struct at24_platform_data{} to store
> the device read/write offset returned from the DT (similar to the
> already existing page_size member).
> 3. Complement at24_get_pdata() to read block_offset from the DT and
> store it.
> 4. Make at24_eeprom_write_i2c() and at24_eeprom_read_serial() (and
> eventually more?) respect the block_offset value.

These routines no longer exist, at24 uses regmap now. Please see
current next or wait for 4.16-rc1.

> Initializing the new block_offset member of struct at24_platform_data{}
> to 0 should leave the code semantically unchanged.
>
> Once this patch is in place I could use the 24mac402 device type with
> block_offset set to 0xfa (and read-only set to true) to read the EUI-48
> node address from Microchip's 24AA025E48. Probably the later addition of
> a device named 24eui48 would also make sense (if not redundant ?).
>
> Any comments are very appreciated, Felix

We should probably have a default value defined in chip data too,
otherwise we'd break the existing models from atmel containing the EUI
block (at24mac402/602) the offset of which is different than the one
you're using.

Best regards,
Bartosz Golaszewski