Re: [GIT PULL] siginfo cleanups for 4.16-rc1

From: Eric W. Biederman
Date: Mon Jan 29 2018 - 21:37:16 EST

ebiederm@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Eric W. Biederman) writes:

> Linus,
>
> Please pull the siginfo-linus branch from the git tree:
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/ebiederm/user-namespace.git siginfo-linus
>
> HEAD: c0f45555b82450a56c0da11866163b764aeb1a21 signal/memory-failure: Use force_sig_mceerr and send_sig_mceerr
>
> Long ago when 2.4 was just a testing release copy_siginfo_to_user was
> made to copy individual fields to userspace, possibly for efficiency and
> to ensure initialized values were not copied to userspace.
> Unfortunately the design was complex, it's assumptions unstated, and
> humans are failible and so while work much of the time that design
> failed to ensure unitialized memory is not copied to userspace.
>
> This set of changes is part of a new design to clean up siginfo
> and simplify things, and hopefully make the siginfo handling robust
> enough that a simple inspection of the code can be made to ensure we
> don't copy any unitializied fields to userspace.
>
> The design is to unifiy struct siginfo and struct compat_siginfo
> into a single definition that is shared between all architectures so
> that anyone adding to the set of information shared with struct siginfo
> can see the whole picture. Hopefully ensuring all future si_code
> assignments are arch independent.
>
> The design is to unify copy_siginfo_to_user32 and
> copy_siginfo_from_user32 so that those function are complete and cope
> with all of the different cases documented in signinfo_layout. I don't
> think there was a single implementation of either of those functions
> that was complete and correct before my changes unified them.
>
> The design is to introduce a series of helpers including
> force_siginfo_fault that take the values that are needed in struct
> siginfo and build the siginfo structure for their callers. Ensuring
> struct siginfo is built correctly.
>
> The remaining work for 4.17 (unless someone thinks it is post -rc1
> material) is to push usage of those helpers down into the architectures
> so that architecture specific code will not need to deal with the fiddly
> work of intializing struct siginfo, and then when struct siginfo is
> guaranteed to be fully initialized change copy siginfo_to_user into
> a simple wrapper around copy_to_user.
>
> Further there is work in progress on the issues that have been
> documented requires arch specific knowledge to sort out.
>
> The changes below fix or at least document all of the issues that have
> been found with siginfo generation. Then proceed to unify struct
> siginfo the 32 bit helpers that copy siginfo to and from userspace,
> and generally clean up anything that is not arch specific with
> regards to siginfo generation.
>
> It is a lot but with the unification you can of siginfo you can
> already see the code reduction in the kernel.

I should add there is a trivial conflict with powerpc. The powerpc
branch in linux-next adds a new use of the memory_failure function,
while this code removes the unused trapno argument from the
memory_failure function. Conflict resolution just remove
the middle argument to memory_failure from the powerpc branch.