Re: [GIT PULL] leaking_addresses.pl changes for 4.16-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Feb 01 2018 - 17:43:37 EST

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 12:45 PM, Tobin C. Harding <me@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It has just come to my attention that I should have pushed these changes
> to Linux next before requesting you to pull them. Please feel free to
> drop this request, I can try again next merge window after going through
> linux next.

For something like this, I don't think it's a big deal.

A bigger deal is that it now wants perl-bigint, as of commit
8d8a77fb99bd ("leaking_addresses: add range check for vsyscall
memory").

And that is not apparently a common enough perl module to be installed
by default.

Sure, I just ran

dnf install 'perl(bigint)'

and it did the right thing, but it does seem to be something of an
inconvenience.

And things are *slow*, to the point of breakage. I get

timed out parsing: /proc/kallsyms
timed out parsing: /proc/2177/smaps
timed out parsing: /proc/2238/smaps
timed out parsing: /proc/2336/smaps

and no actual output. I'm not sure what's up with that, and whether
it's related. Probably not, but I didn't start bisecting.

So I pulled it but then unpulled it due to issues during testing.

Linus