Re: RFC(V3): Audit Kernel Container IDs

From: Simo Sorce
Date: Fri Feb 02 2018 - 17:19:30 EST

On Fri, 2018-02-02 at 16:24 -0500, Paul Moore wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 2:00 AM, Richard Guy Briggs <rgb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I am trying to understand the back and forth on the ID size.
> > >
> > > From an orchestrator POV anything that requires tracking a node
> > > specific ID is not ideal.
> > >
> > > Orchestrators tend to span many nodes, and containers tend to have IDs
> > > that are either UUID or have a Hash (like SHA256) as identifier.
> > >
> > > The problem here is two-fold:
> > >
> > > a) Your auditing requires some mapping to be useful outside of the
> > > system.
> > > If you aggreggate audit logs outside of the system or you want to
> > > correlate the system audit logs with other components dealing with
> > > containers, now you need a place where you provide a mapping from your
> > > audit u64 to the ID a container has in the rest of the system.
> > >
> > > b) Now you need a mapping of some sort. The simplest way a container
> > > orchestrator can go about this is to just use the UUID or Hash
> > > representing their view of the container, truncate it to a u64 and use
> > > that for Audit. This means there are some chances there will be a
> > > collision and a duplicate u64 ID will be used by the orchestrator as
> > > the container ID. What happen in that case ?
> >
> > Paul, can you justify this somewhat larger inconvenience for some
> > relatively minor convenience on our part?
>
> Done in direct response to Simo.

Sorry but your response sounds more like waving away then addressing
them, the excuse being: we can't please everyone, so we are going to
please no one.

> But to be clear Richard, we've talked about this a few times, it's not
> a "minor convenience" on our part, it's a pretty big convenience once
> we starting having to route audit events and make decisions based on
> the audit container ID information. Audit performance is less than
> awesome now, I'm working hard to not make it worse.

Sounds like a security vs performance trade off to me.

> > u64 vs u128 is easy for us to
> > accomodate in terms of scalar comparisons. It doubles the information
> > in every container id field we print in audit records.
>
> ... and slows down audit container ID checks.

Are you saying a cmp on a u128 is slower than a comparison on a u64 and
this is something that will be noticeable ?

> > A c36 is a bigger step.
>
> Yeah, we're not doing that, no way.

Ok, I can see your point though I do not agree with it.

I can see why you do not want to have arbitrary length strings, but a
u128 sounded like a reasonable compromise to me as it has enough room
to be able to have unique cluster-wide IDs which a u64 definitely makes
a lot harder to provide w/o tight coordination.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce
Sr. Principal Software Engineer