RE: [BUG] x86 : i486 reporting to be vulnerable to Meltdown/Spectre_V1/Spectre_V2

From: David Laight
Date: Thu Feb 08 2018 - 12:01:38 EST

From: Arnd Bergmann
> Sent: 08 February 2018 15:23
> The Winchip is what eventually turned into the VIA Nano, which does
> have speculative execution, but I don't think the earlier C3 and C7 did,
> they are much closer to the original Winchip design.

We had terrible trouble getting (IIRC) the C7 to execute functions
that were called in 16bit mode and returned in 32bit mode and v.v.
(for boot code bios calls).
The problems seemed to imply that it was caching return addresses
and the translation (to uops) of the instructions that followed.
So it would effectively decode the first few bytes in the wrong mode.
So there might be scope for one of these attacks.

OTOH these devices were so slow that I doubt any are used for anything
serious - and certainly won't get a kernel update even if they are.

Also worth nothing that the difference between the cpu and memory
speeds is much lower - so far fewer instructions could be speculatively
executed while waiting a cache miss.

Tempting to disable everything.

David