Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 3rd - Reducing the compressed framebuffer size

From: Ville Syrjälä
Date: Tue Feb 13 2018 - 08:27:48 EST

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 09:50:30AM +0100, Pali Rohár wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 February 2018 16:21:43 Pali Rohár wrote:
> > Hi! I'm periodically getting following message in dmesg on Lenovo
> > Thinkpad X1 Carbon 3rd generation:
> >
> > [drm] Reducing the compressed framebuffer size. This may lead to less power savings than a non-reduced-size. Try to increase stolen memory size if available in BIOS.
> >
> > In BIOS I already set GPU size to 512M, but this did not help. Also
> > update to last BIOS version did not help.
> >
> > So why this message is periodically print in dmesg? And what can I do
> > with this problem?
> >
> > And why cannot Linux kernel allocate itself more memory for GPU (if BIOS
> > can/could do that)? Is not 512MB for GPU enough?
>
> And here is output from lspci, which clearly says that 512MB is already
> set for GPU:

The PCI BAR size has nothing to do with the size of the stolen memory.
The BAR just provides a window into the global GTT address space of the
GPU. Stolen memory is a contiguous chunk of physical memory carved out
by the BIOS. The BIOS may or may not provide a knob to change the size
of the stolen memory.