Re: 500 ms delay in time saved into RTC

From: Karel Zak
Date: Mon Feb 19 2018 - 06:03:39 EST

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 08:11:05AM +0100, Rasmus Villemoes wrote:
> It's because util-linux's hwclock still assumes the world is x86. See
> this comment in the util-linux source code:
>
> /*
> * The Hardware Clock can only be set to any integer time plus one
> * half second. The integer time is required because there is no
> * interface to set or get a fractional second. The additional half
> * second is because the Hardware Clock updates to the following
> * second precisely 500 ms (not 1 second!) after you release the
> * divider reset (after setting the new time) - see description of
> * DV2, DV1, DV0 in Register A in the MC146818A data sheet (and note
>
> So if hwclock is asked to --systohc at time 01:02:03.x, it waits until
> the time is 01:02:03.5 to set the rtc to 01:02:03, or if that has
> already passed, waits until 01:02:04.5 and sets it to 01:02:04.
>
> On our ARM BSP we patch util-linux to have the "implicit fractional
> part" configurable, and trying to upstream something like that has been
> on my todo-list for quite a while. See
>
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/oe-lite/base/master/recipes/util-linux/util-linux-2.29/hwclock-tweak-delay.patch
>
> for the patch we currently use (on top of that, we change the 0.5
> initializer to 0.0 to avoid having to always pass the --delay argument).
> Incidentally, it seems we're on the same util-linux version, so you
> should be able to try out that patch and see if it works for you.

Would be possible to somehow detect what is the right default setting for
--delay? I mean for example detect architecture / clock HW, etc.

I have no problem with --delay, but it's tuning for advanced users and
HW specific stuff. It would be nice to have something more portable.

Karel

--
Karel Zak <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx>
http://karelzak.blogspot.com