Re: RFC: remove the "tile" architecture from glibc

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Wed Mar 07 2018 - 10:39:56 EST

On Sat, Dec 2, 2017 at 4:16 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<glaubitz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 12/02/2017 02:14 AM, Chris Metcalf wrote:
>
>> I'd be very happy if someone from Debian (for example) wants to sign
>> up as maintainer. Otherwise I will follow the sense of the community
>> in terms of whether deletion or just marking it as unmaintained feels
>> like the better way to go.
>
> I will ask around the Debian community what the current state of the
> Tilegx bootstrap is. Again, thanks for your help!

Do you have any updates on this? A related question has come up
for the kernel, as are in the process of removing a number of architectures,
https://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/748074/119aaf0d62b3e6c1/ or
see https://lwn.net/Articles/748074/ for a nice summary.

It looks like we might remove blackfin and/or mn10300 at the same
time as the others, which would leave tile as the one architecture
whose future still remains unclear.

This is what I understand from previous discussions:

- Mellanox has stopped all work on the architecture, both kernel
and glibc
- Cisco are using a heavily patched older kernel and mainline
toolchains, they would not care about the kernel dropping
the port (based on Henrik's mail in this thread)
- Mikrotik are probably using a similar kernel (I found a large
3.3.5 based patch for tile in their latest download sources),
so I'm guessing they wouldn't care either.
- There was a minor effort back in 2014 to try to get OpenWRT
to run on mikrotik tile-gx based devices, but that doesn't seem
to have gone anywhere
(see https://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=85713,
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=50897)
- Helmut Grohne has done the work to add tile-gx to debian
rebootstrap, and send several patches, as seen in
However, I could find no information on this actually
being turned into a full port, or anyone still actively involved
in it. The Debian rebootstrap page at
https://wiki.debian.org/HelmutGrohne/rebootstrap
mentions lots of other architectures, but not this one.

Does anyone have any additional information here? If there
is still active work on OpenWRT or Debian for TileGX, I don't
want to hurt that, but if the port is indeed as dead as it seems
based on my findings above, then it would be convenient to
remove it from the kernel together with the other architectures
rather than waiting a few more releases.

Arnd